Economic Development Committee
Commercial, Housing, and Transit-Oriented Development opportunities continue to attract billions of dollars in investment to neighborhoods across Los Angeles County. While the occurrence of groundbreakings and cranes in the sky can bring vital economic and social benefits to a community, they can also invoke fear of a loss of community character and lead to displacement of low income residents and businesses.
Our workshop panelists will discuss past and present examples of gentrification in Los Angeles communities and how they were affected. The goal of this conversation is to explore lessons learned, community benefit policies you should know about, and recommendations for how community stakeholders can encourage resiliency and achieve the benefits associated with new development in your backyard.
Click here to register!
- “Beyond the Ballot: A Millennial Manifesto for Staying Woke” (Emerging Civic Leaders Committee)
- “Criminal Justice Reform and Community Engagement” (Public Safety & Justice Committee)
- “Earth, Wind, Fire and Water: The Fundamental Elements to Sustainably Transform Environmentally Burdened Communities” (Environmental Committee)
- “Ending Homelessness Using the Empowerment Congress Model” (Human Services Committee)
- “Equity in Education: Leaders Explore Solutions from Diverse Perspectives” (Education Committee)
- “Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Theater For Change is Now in Session!” (Arts & Culture Committee)
- “High Times: The Legalization of Cannabis and Its Impact on Health and Community Outcomes” (Health Committee)
- “Living Life Like It’s Golden: Purposeful Aging During the Senior Years” (Senior Services Committee)
- “Mental Health in the Community: Notes from the Field” (Mental Health Committee)
- “Unlearning Learned Bias” (Youth Summit – REGISTRATION RESTRICTED)