The Youth Summit will address the topic of implicit bias or the bias in attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors based on limiting or stereotypical perceptions, often at an unconscious level. Implicit biases are so pervasive because everyone has them and they are built on socially constructed messaging that may be unfounded. They may not even align with our declared beliefs or ideas that we consciously endorse. There can be devastating consequences when people in power have implicit biases against people of certain ability, age, race, or appearances. Police officers, teachers, politicians, judges, doctors, creative directors all have immense power (criminal sentencing, criminalizing pre-schoolers of color, withholding pain medications, etc.) that can affect the lives of people whether it is directly or indirectly. The workshop will show youth that implicit biases can be unlearned. This session will focus on using hands on tools to promote the unlearning of learned biases. Youth attending the summit will be able to create visual art and performance art to address the issue of implicit bias in our society.
Please note that registration is restricted for this workshop. Please email email@example.com for more information.
- “Beyond the Ballot: A Millennial Manifesto for Staying Woke” (Emerging Civic Leaders Committee)
- “Criminal Justice Reform and Community Engagement” (Public Safety & Justice Committee)
- “Earth, Wind, Fire and Water: The Fundamental Elements to Sustainably Transform Environmentally Burdened Communities” (Environmental Committee)
- “Ending Homelessness Using the Empowerment Congress Model” (Human Services Committee)
- “Equity in Education: Leaders Explore Solutions from Diverse Perspectives” (Education Committee)
- “Gentrification Uncovered: What Does it Mean for You?” (Economic Development Committee)
- “Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Theater For Change is Now in Session!” (Arts & Culture Committee)
- “High Times: The Legalization of Cannabis and Its Impact on Health and Community Outcomes” (Health Committee)
- “Living Life Like It’s Golden: Purposeful Aging During the Senior Years” (Senior Services Committee)
- “Mental Health in the Community: Notes from the Field” (Mental Health Committee)